Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 16, 2010
8:00PM

The girls and I ventured out on our own for the first time today! We
went on a LONG walk down the hill outside the guest to all of the
little souvenir shops across from the Post Office and right after a
big “intersection” of Churchill Road.

Intersection is a loose term…every turn and stop seems to be an
intersection. Driving here is insane. It’s like a really difficult
video game. At least that’s how I would describe it. And walking
across streets, “lanes” of traffic, reminds me of the Artari Frogger
game.

We are the frogs. One big difference, though, we’ve got only one life.

Anyway, we were on a search for some bracelets for Josie, and she so
enjoyed going in every little shop along the side of the road. And the
store workers so enjoyed her coming into their shops.

We searched and searched and finally found something that will have to
do for now. A plastic green bracelet that we probably could’ve gotten
in front of Kroger out of those quarter machines. Not exactly an
authentic Ethiopian souvenir.

We did find a sweet Ethiopian babydoll that Josie quickly named
“Spring”. This name choice is a direct result of watching “Springtime
for Strawberry”, the only video we have here and the one that was
watched almost every day for a week…at 3AM.

I guess all of that 3AM business has started to wear on me…I’m feeling
quite a bit “poorly” and so we’re staying around the guesthouse for
the rest of the day.

Two of our team members are being tested for parasites, and that just
totally grosses me out. We’ve all eaten most of the same things – and
we’re all drinking the same water…you get the picture. Ugh, I’m hoping
I don’t have a parasite.

And on that note, I’m taking a nap.

Sweet dreams, I’m sure!

1 comment:

The McKays said...

Atari...wow, did you grow up in the 80s?! :) the streets sound nuts. glad you braved the world and got out alone. and praying that you all stay healthy! xoxo